Thursday, November 5, 2009

Psalms 113-124

God is always responsive and able to be reached. He leans down and listens to our spoken voice and the call of our hearts. Have you fallen in love with God? When you stop and accept your answered prayers, your love for God will grow. “I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.”(Psalm 116:1) If God has answered even one prayer that you can think of, why not go to Him for all your needs? If you’ve ever thought you can’t think of anything God has done for you, Psalm 117 gives two reasons for praising God: His great love toward us and His faithfulness that endures forever. “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”(Psalm 118:6) Man is insignificant compared to the power of God; don’t put your trust and faith solely in man; these are precious and in need of protection that only the Lord can provide.

How do we stay pure in a filthy environment? Everywhere we turn, we find temptation to lead to impure lives. Start paying more attention to the messages in the media, on TV, in music, on the radio, in movies, the world of “reality entertainment” and “celebrity”. Little by little, we and our children are becoming perverted by these messages when we consider them the “norm”. The only shield of protection is to be counseled by God Himself who can protect us against the tempting influences around us. The wisdom to discern what we allow into our hearts and lives comes from God’s word and doing what it says.

Do you ever feel like a stranger on earth? Like you are somehow separated from our environment and always seeking the right path to take? God and the word He’s given is our map. To wander aimlessly through life and risk missing our real destination is a sad fate for those who don’t read and follow the map for their lives. Every journey requires a map or guide. We are travelers through this life and the Bible should be our road map to point out safe routes, obstacles to avoid, and our final destination. To learn our way is to study God’s way; what better way could there be besides the road God has chosen for you?

When we pray to God and ask Him for blessings; do you ask for tangible and insignificant things that are short-lived; or do you ask for intangible attributes that will help you grow as a child of God? Things like wisdom, discernment, a giving and generous spirit, the will to love your enemies, discipline, or a desire to serve? “Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.”(Psalm 119:97-104) God’s word makes us wise. True wisdom goes beyond amassing knowledge; it is applying knowledge in a life-changing way that is wisdom. Intelligent, formally educated people with stacks of degrees or experienced people are not necessarily wise; wisdom comes from allowing what God teaches to guide us. Praying for discernment will give us the ability to understand, and we need the desire to apply Scripture where we need help. The Bible is like medicine, when applied to specific areas; it works. God’s word cannot lie; it is perfect truth. The Bible is completely true and trustworthy. For the peace of mind we all seek; here is clear instruction on how to attain this: if we love God and obey his laws, we will have great peace. Trust in God, who alone stands above the pressures of daily life and gives us full assurance. To find peace with yourself; peace with others; you must find peace with God. Ask Him how and He will show you.

No comments:

Post a Comment